Happy Learn Haskell Tutorial
News: We're working on Volume 2 which is presently in beta. Please register your interest on the Volume 2 Leanpub site.
Volume 1 will bring your Haskell reading skill from nothing to about halfway through beginner level. You will also gain the skills necessary to write the smallest pre-beginner (basic level) programs.
Available for purchase on the Volume 1 Leanpub site, or read the free releases below. Please consider purchase if you're able, it lets us work on more books and resources for you.
Volume 1 Chapters:
- Introduction: How to learn Haskell enjoyably
- Your First Step (Understanding our first Haskell
definition & expression)
- Types of Jigsaw Pieces (Types and Signatures)
- The Main Road (IO, purity and actions)
- Function Magic (Pure functions, Bool, lambdas, currying)
- Sockets and Plugs (Using functions, arguments, sections)
- Output Other Things (Typeclasses, Num, Show, print vs putStrLn)
- Make Decisions (Eq, if, case, guards, function patterns)
- Shop for Food with List (List, Foldable, (:), (++), matching Lists)
- A Dream within a Dream (List, recursion, map, intercalate)
- More Shopping (Type aliases, Tuples, folding)
- How to Write Programs(Problem solving overview, summary so far)
- At the Zoo (Sum types, map, where)
- Cats and Houses (Sum types, product types, guards, function composition, pattern matching algebraic data types, Maybe)
- Basic Output (Writing programs with simplest output only)
- Fridge, the Game (Do blocks, full program recursion/looping, input)
- The People Book (Product types with record syntax, recursion, filter explained, map explained, sort, compare, Ord, flip, sortOn)
- Times-Table Train of Terror (Lists, tuples, lambdas, zip, ($), concat, do blocks, program loop with state passing)
- Skwak the Squirrel (Sum types, product types, tuples, lambdas with type matching, sections, any, (/=), program loop with state passing, ($) more)
- Basic Input (Writing programs with simplest input and output)
- Getting Set Up (How to get started with installing Haskell)
- Vol 1 Frequently Asked Questions (Answers to the questions we receive all the time)
- Many Thanks (A Heartfelt Thankyou Message)
Volume 2 will take you through a series of programs and lessons that will let you be able to read a great many beginner Haskell programs in the wild. As we do so, we'll also use the built-in exercises to skill-up your program-creating ability so you'll be able to write quite a variety of basic-level programs on your own.
Volume 2 Chapters:
- Introduction to Volume 2
- Roll the Dice (Random, Understanding IO & actions, Monad typeclass, replicate, sequence, parsing input with read)
- Guess the Number (Text, validation with Either, simple parsing, Monoid typeclass)
- Rock Paper Scissors (Writing a typeclass instance, Random)
- Word Unjumbler (Program design approaches, reading & writing files, Text, command line arguments)
- Substitution Cyphers (More program design, Enum, Char, Exceptions & Errors)
- More chapters are being written as we speak! Support us by registering your interest for vol 2, spreading the word and/or buying vol 1. Thank you so much!
Happy Learn Haskell Tutorial is licenced under the Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported licence. (Human-Readable summary.)